Telehealth Nutritional Counseling Initiative
As a collaborative effort across our state, the South Carolina Telehealth Alliance will help your patients battling obesity consult regularly with a registered dietitian via a two-way video from the comfort of your medical office.
- Enable your patient to get nutritional counseling conveniently from your office.
- Provide a comprehensive approach to reducing rates of obesity and improving health outcomes statewide.
- Enable providers to treat obesity as a disease working with a multidisciplinary team.
- The South Carolina Telehealth Alliance (SCTA) will provide telehealth equipment, if needed, and assist with adopting telehealth in your practice.
- As a patient is identified, a referral is made. An Alliance coordinator will work with your office, the patient and registered dietitian to schedule a time for the consultation.
- Ideally, patients will meet with a telehealth dietitian via your medial office every 4-8 weeks, for a total of six recommended visits.
- The program is supported by the SCTA and there are no fees. During an introductory period, no insurance will be billed. The Alliance is working in partnership with insurers to establish a sustainable reimbursement rate.
How this program benefits your patient
- The patient will receive regular and routine care.
- The patient will receive nutrition advice from a registered dietitian who specializes in weight management.
- The patient can receive this service through telehealth technology from your office, thus reducing travel time and improving the likelihood of successful follow-up.
- The coordination of care among providers will be enhanced, which ultimately improves the overall care provided to the patient.
How the program benefits you as a primary care provider
- You can spend less time addressing diet, nutrition, and exercise and more time on the patient’s medical concerns.
- Routine follow-up will allow you to more easily track patient progress.
- You will be able to trust that your patients are receiving nutrition education at its best!
For more information
Contact Kevin Wiley
Telehealth Alliance Coordinator